In today’s environment, e-commerce marketing strategies are crucial to the success of any digital entrepreneur. No matter what type of product or service is offered, the e-commerce platform is the most effective way to attract, engage, and retain customers. Savvy entrepreneurs understand the demands of customers and are creating new digital markets or expanding existing brick and mortars to digital platforms. There has never been a better time to join the global digital marketplace. Let’s talk through some ideas and concepts to get you started on your e-commerce marketing journey.
Some of the Numbers
Who doesn’t love great data? Whether you like it or not, understanding the numbers in every aspect of your business is crucial to success. However, it is not necessary to give you so much your eyes glaze over and you drop off into a statistical coma. Let’s hit the highlights, and you can do a deeper dive as part of your due diligence.
- It is estimated that the number of digital buyers in 2020 will hit 2.05 billion. That is a great market to tap into and a great opportunity to create an e-commerce platform.
- e-commerce sales will account for 15.5% of all retail sales globally in 2020. This is the experience consumers are demanding.
- By the end of 2019, nearly half of all small businesses in the United States did not have a website. This is simply the most stunning missed opportunity in small business.
- The number one reason consumers shop e-commerce sites is convenience. They can shop 24 hours a day, 7 days a week when they are most comfortable.
These numbers should give you reason to pause and think about the opportunity. To take advantage of that opportunity, start developing some strategies and skills with your e-commerce marketing.
Like with any other entrepreneurial adventure, you need to have the strategies and skills to engage with action. E-commerce marketing is no different. The basics of marketing are the basics, no matter how you present your business. However, e-commerce marketplaces require a different set of strategies and skills which are unique to the digital marketplace. It is highly competitive and demands that you can set yourself apart from the others in the herd and capture the consumer’s attention. Let’s think about some strategies!
- SEO Strategies – This is the foundation for everything. You want to make sure your website and product pages are fully optimized with keywords your customers are searching for.
- Customer Reviews – Include customer reviews on your site and product pages. Don’t bury them in fine print at the bottom, get them out there to be seen! People want to see the feedback and experience. Be transparent.
- Content Marketing – Blogs, email marketing, and ebooks are the main tools available to promote your e-commerce business. Never understand the power of words and take every opportunity to communicate with your customers. Be open to guest posting on other sites that are credible and relevant. Take advantage of links back to your site to draw traffic.
- Social Media – This is where you can really connect, communicate, and share with the global community about your product or service. Take advantage of every opportunity to speak to the audience. Every social media platform has a purpose and a specific strategy. Learn them and how they best reach your target audience.
- Digital Advertising – You have to pay to play! Social media platforms and web browsers are free to use by just signing up for an account. However, if you want to tap into their full potential, you have to pay for advertising. Don’t let anyone tell you differently. To compete in the digital marketplace, you must pay for advertising on the platforms. Whether it is pay-per-click on Google or targeted ads on Facebook or Instagram, you need a budget that will get you competitive.
These are the basics to get your e-commerce marketing off the ground. There are many more details and nuances to developing a strong, robust program. Do your research and start developing your skills.
Interested in learning more about EDK’s e-commerce marketing services? Give us a call at 818.488.1543 or email email@example.com!